Sunday, February 4, 2007

License to swim

The alarming rate at which my tummy has been expanding over the last few months, has convinced me to start swimming on a regular basis.The swimming pool nearest to my house belongs to the Tamil Nadu Sports Development Authority.To become a member one is required to get a fitness certificate,certifying that the applicant is free from skin disease and epilepsy.

So I had to make yet another trip to civilization(read Adayar) to get my fitness certificate.Thankfully getting the certificate was not that difficult,though the doc looked a bit amused with the request and did take his time trying to scribble something intelligent on the certificate.

Since i was already in Adayar I thought of picking up a swimming cap from the sports shop.While i was parking at the complex a young girl, around 10 years old,approached me to donate to the Helpage organization.As i obliged her, the parking attendant,who was really old, came around and started shooing the girl away.Not wanting to create a scene I quickly signed and handed over the money and rushed into the complex.

When I was done with my shopping the parking attendant was back and he kept muttering something to me in Tamil, which to me sounded like "ninety years old".."retired in 1974" "32 years no pension" "Karunanithi govt sucks".When I pieced together the jigsaw puzzle my jaw nearly dropped to the floor.This guy is 90 years old!!No wonder he was pissed with the helpage girl.Most helpage inmates would be like kids to him!!While leaving I gave him a generous tip and he gave me a toothless grin and blew his whistle for me :D

At last armed with my fitness certificate and my stamp sized photos,I made my way back to the Sports Center.The stadium officer was pleasant, an endangered species in government service.He briskly filled up my application and made me sign at the relevant places.Finally he handed over to me, my membership card-my license to swim:D

1 comment:

Hitchhiker said...

License to swim sounds license to kill...;) Anyway yenjoy madi :)