Monday, January 22, 2007

Fun and games with Mr Chidambaram

Mr Chidambaram is my ex real estate agent,and i hate him from the bottom of my heart.Middle aged,short, with the few remaining strands of hair plastered on his head,he reminds me of the fairy tale character Rumpelstiltskin.He operates from a 15X10 feet office,which manages to accomodate him and his fairly obese secretary.I unfortunately have had to meet him on the first of every month to hand over the room rent.
He is the type of boss you would hate to work for.I hardly understand tamil but I think he addresses his secretary with"Get me the file u cow!".The secretary responds with a moan which sounds like cross between a meow and a moo..mooew.She generally takes her own sweet time till Rumple erupts with "Why dont u ever hurry up".. "Why do i ever tolerate you".They work 14 hours a day and even on weeekends. And it is fair to assume that this kind of exchange goes on throughout those 14 hours.And i thought my job sucked!!

I had to make an additional trip to his office this month to discuss about vacating the house.He brought out my 10 Kg file and pulled out the rent agreement I had signed some 2.5 years back.He pointed out a clause written in microprint "Tenant must submit all the electricity bills for the duration of the stay else get a no dues certificate from the electricity board".
Obviously I was shell shocked and no amount of pleading would work with him.On rummagging through my house all i could locate were 8 electricity bills.

The logical step now was to contact the electricity board.According to the electricity board only the Assistant Engineer was authorised to come out with any kind of certificate.Following is the sequence of events at the EB office

Day1:AE gone for training
Day2:AE gone for inspection
Day3:AE gone for training
Day4:AE gone on Pongal vacation,Please come after a week

When the D day arrived me and my roomie Sanal finally met the elusive AE.By the time we had finished explaining our case to the AE he flew into a terrible rage for reasons unknown.It is strange but when I am being yelled at,time suddenly stands still and everything seems to move in slow motion.I could see his face contorting with hate, the leathery skin on his jowls straining with exertion,his nostrils flaring like a dragon while his mouth spewed venom on us.After his onslaught subsided, me and Sanal made our way out of there quickly.Another minute there and I think he would have sodomised us right in front of his staff.

Finally, with hardly any bills and no no dues certificate we decided to pay the penalty....i feel so suckered.

No comments: